The ICARUS on-board equipment planned to be accommodated in 2018 on the Russian Segment of the International Space Station (ISS).
- Consists of electronic unit, transmit antenna and 3 receive antennas.
- Detection of up to 500 tags in the reception range of the antennas.
- Provides communication coverage with tag of 90 % within 24 hours in an area between 58° Northern and Southern latitudes.
Overview of deployed ICARUS system
The technical challenges are:
- Global tag coverage to record long distance migration patterns
- Simultaneous communication with a multitude of animal tags
- Extremely low tag mass and size to allow tracking of small animals
- Long, maintenance-free tag life in order to cover complete migration cycles
- Logging of internal (physiological) and external (environmental) state of animals.